This provides effective space for a sitting desk or chairs. In a room with 9-foot ceilings, a 30-inch head space provides about 68 inches of room below the bottom of the loft bed — enough for average people to walk beneath.
- 1 How much head clearance do you need for a loft bed?
- 2 How much space do you need under a loft?
- 3 What do you do with the space under a loft bed?
- 4 Can you have a loft bed with 8ft ceilings?
- 5 How much clearance do you need for a bunk bed?
- 6 What is the average height of a loft bed?
- 7 How much space should be between bunk bed and ceiling?
- 8 How much room do you need in a lofted dorm bed?
- 9 Can I put a mattress under a loft bed?
- 10 Do loft beds save space?
- 11 How do I get the most out of my loft bed?
- 12 How much weight can an IKEA Stora loft bed hold?
- 13 How do you make a Ikea loft bed sturdy?
- 14 What is the standard ceiling height?
How much head clearance do you need for a loft bed?
Ceiling Height Be sure to measure how high your ceilings are before considering bunk or loft beds. It is essential to have 33 to 36 inches of space between the top of the mattress and your ceiling, which means your ceiling should be about 100 inches high, four inches more than a traditional 8-foot ceiling.
How much space do you need under a loft?
The Consumer Products Safety Commission recommends a minimum of 30″ of space from the top of the mattress to the ceiling. If you want more space underneath you can go closer to the ceiling. We recommend you test it out first to make sure you feel comfortable being closer to the ceiling.
What do you do with the space under a loft bed?
10 Ways to Use the Space Below Your Loft Bed
- Keep a desk for an under-bed study and work area.
- Hang curtains and store anything you want or maintain a private space.
- Have a sofa where you can work on your laptop or with friends.
- Place storage drawers or a dresser there.
- Hang a hammock for relaxing.
- Creating a living cube.
Can you have a loft bed with 8ft ceilings?
Mid lofts and low bunks are the same height (61.5”/5.1 feet), and can comfortably sleep whomever is in the top bunk; even if you have a low ceiling. We recommend calculating at least a 2 foot/24” headroom over and above the height of your bed – so if your home has 8 foot ceilings, these beds would more than fit!
How much clearance do you need for a bunk bed?
The average clearance of a bunk bed is 33”. A clearance of 33” allows for an adult to sit upright on the bottom bunk without hitting their head, so typical bunk bed clearance measures between 28” and 38”. The bigger the clearance, the taller the bunk bed; the smaller the clearance, the shorter the bunk bed.
What is the average height of a loft bed?
High loft beds leave plenty of space for a desk and chair, couch or futon, or a small dining area underneath. A typical high loft (or standard loft bed) is approximately 74.25 inches tall (about 6 ft 2 in). Here is an example of a high loft bed.
How much space should be between bunk bed and ceiling?
Leave at least two feet of space between the bunk bed and the ceiling to prevent bumps. While bunk bed heights vary, the average bunk is usually between 5 1/2 and 6 feet tall.
How much room do you need in a lofted dorm bed?
Having 8-inches of space under your bed is enough to store bags and other extra items in your dorm that you won’t need that often.
Can I put a mattress under a loft bed?
Absolutely! The great thing about a loft bed is that you can fit a wide range of bed sizes underneath them. Most loft beds allow someone to have a workspace or a lounging space, but by removing any existing furniture underneath the loft bed, a bed ranging from a twin to a queen can fit underneath most loft beds.
Do loft beds save space?
Loft and bunk beds are great space-savers because they let you use the same floor space twice, and some even have built-in storage, desks and trundles.
How do I get the most out of my loft bed?
Idea 1: Build a cool fort under the loft bed
- Free up space under the top bunk.
- Get some curtains or sheets that can cover up the entire space under the bed.
- Secure the curtains in place at the top bunk.
- Decide what you’ll put on the floor.
- Decorate it to your child’s interests.
How much weight can an IKEA Stora loft bed hold?
IKEA Stora Bed Weight Limit The Stora variety of bed is a wooden framed bunk bed, thus its recommended weight limit stands at around 220lbs (100kg).
How do you make a Ikea loft bed sturdy?
To make a wooden or metal loft bed / bunk bed more sturdy, follow these tips:
- Tip 1: Install a bed rail to brace the loft bed or bunk bed frame.
- Tip 2: Reduce humidity in the room to prevent wood expansion.
- Tip 3: Disassemble your bed before moving it.
- Tip 4: Buy a bunk bed or loft bed with thick bed posts & a lower height.
What is the standard ceiling height?
Today’s standard ceiling height is nine feet. Newer houses are often built with nine-foot ceilings on the first floor (and, sometimes, eight-foot ceilings on the second story). While many custom builders will assume that homeowners want nine-foot ceilings, don’t take it for granted.